Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Cookie Says It All

Upon opening my latest post meal fortune cookie I found this, open ended yet highly relevant quote "A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." I always knew I was destined for greatness.

Funny thing is, at first glance it appeared trivial, as most generic fortunes do. Absentmindedly I pasted it to the fridge door, affixed with an over sized magnet, next to the lucky bamboo instructions. Over the last few days and seemingly endless hours of query letter laboriousness I had become accustomed to the editing frame of mind--out with the old and in with the new. Between revising the writing and cleaning the house to make way for new furniture and a new room mate, I tore down all random scraps that were cluttering the fridge.

It was not until the last day or so when this quote played intermittently through my mind that I found myself rooting through the garbage in search of the miniature paper. Fearing it had been tossed into the dumpster forever, I continued scrounging like a shadowy homeless alley way animal, until the bottom was in sight. Tracing my last few days and creating a garbage time line of sorts I figured the fortune had to be in there. Then I saw it. Stuck to the side of a couple fuzzy rotting strawberries it had been spared, protected by the lucky bamboo instructions, as the proverbial bun of this trash sandwich. I plucked it from it's apparent fate. What an inspirational quote for a transitional week. New queries, new illustrations, new roommate, and hopefully a new part time job! What will tomorrow hold? We can only guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment